Saturday, 11 July 2009

Bad knee, worse poker

I had the knee operation on Friday. Went well with no hiccups. That general anaesthetic is powerful stuff! 'Count backwards from ten please...', 'Ten, ni...' ZONKED! Turns out my orthopeadic surgeon is one of the top boys in the country too. I was talking to the other patients in the waiting room who also had surgery on the day. One fella had already had his right knee done by my Doc, but had his left done by another. He said the difference after surgery was amazing. A nice clean bandage and a reasonable amount of mobility for the first, but a bloody and pussy bandage and being laid up in bed for a fortnight after the second. I was in good spirits anyway but I immediately felt better that I was in good hands. Which is more than I can say for one young teenager who was literally puking with worry and was shortly after given his own room. Another old bloke was a goldmine of knee information as he had not one, but two replacement knees. Can't say he has knee crack! (groan)

I can hobble about, but am far from independant. I can't carry anything as I need both hands at all times for stablity, the stairs especially. I had hoped I'd make the gym by mid-week and be able to drive. Absolutely no chance of that. It's really quite painful today. The most annoying thing by far though, is not being able to bend your knee. Try only moving one knee within five degrees for an hour or so and that's bad enough. I've got another week of this shit. I was given paracetamol, some codeine and some diclofenac sodium enteric. I know codeine fucks you up after I was on it for disclocating my shoulder, dunno if this diclofenac is stronger or what but I plan not to take anything as long as I can bear it. Could be playing Devils Advocate there though, as poker has been shit today.

I've cooled down a bit afer writing this so far, and I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself as it's pretty awkward doing anything, but sajkhfjkldsanbgld tilted for the first time in aaages today. I decided to play 9 tables at thankfully lower stakes. I was up a bit but over 5 buyins below EV as every all in was beaten. All my winnings were non showdown. Fair enough I thought, I'm still up, just chill out. Then I instantly lost a couple more buyins as I say that to myself. Shifted the leg a bit and that hurt, so took a huge radgie out on the poker tables and just got megga aggro spew monkey. Again to be fair a few of the spots were standard that I just happened to lose, but I did silly shit like turning 44 no club into a bluff on QT77J four clubs. We were mega deep like but I really don't need to being doing this crap, gg 220 BBs. He actually re shoved the river after leading two streets after I 3bet pre, so only quads or QQ makes sense.

I'm now about £400 down for the month, not horrible but I should be doing way better. I've been a complete spew tard at 6max this month. So much so that Thursday night I decided to play some gay poker and 9 tabled the 10 seater full ring games in an attempt to tighten up. Even there I was far too loose but I crush that field so badly it makes sense to play more hands. I won five buyins in an hour. So that shows how bad things are. I think I'm about 15 buyins down at 6max and a decent bit up at HU. I played some tougher opponents HU this week. One very aggro player who I managed to get the better of, and another player who I thought was mega aggro - but wasn't - got the better of me for a couple of buyins. He had made a couple of moves early in specific spots which I won't go into detail on, but he is pretty polarized to hold monsters or bluffs. My style of play is basically bet lots, and it's a strength of mine that I merge my value betting and bluffs so well. If you can value bet 2rd pair on the river you can bluff more effectively. A consequence of this is that I have to be a bit more liberal in dealing with check raises. I think I do this very well actually, but in this instance the guy was a total card rack. Everytime - this is the nuts or a bluff - so I click call and run into top 2% of hands each time.

HU really is so much fun though. It really changes the way you think about hands, and so much is down to gameflow and feel. Hope to be a bit more pain free than I have been and can play lots this week. I only have so many DVDs I can watch!

2 comments:

Poker play the Soap way said...

Bad beats and knee updates - should see the hits rocket m8 keep it up :D

Brenos said...

I couldn't let you down after the awesome plug you gave me on your non-whingy, non-bad beat blog ;-)