Saturday, 31 January 2009

January review

So a month of Thailand comes to an end. I've really enjoyed things so far, especially the weather. This is the first time I've been away in the winter and I must say it's pretty awesome. I've lost a fair bit of weight, I'm just under 14 stone now and was 15.5 at the end of December. I put pay to wasting away though by having a pretty special fillet steak for tea tonight. This was to celebrate my recent heater at poker, I won a smidge over $3k in the last three days to put me nicely in profit for the month. I'll get to that later though...

Plans for the next couple of weeks are going to pretty hectic, especially considering what I've been used to. We are going to island hop off the southern coast of Phuket, which has some amazing deserted beaches and snorkelling spots apparantly. The four of us can pay for a boat for the day and create our own schedule which is pretty sweet, and it'll be dirt cheap too once we split the cost. I'd also like to have a days fishing if possible too, have a few beers chill out on deck, but make sure to get mega excited when I land a whopping great sail fish as big as me! We'll also do a day trip to Koh Phi Phi (where 'The Beach' was filmed) before we fly off to Cambodia to see Ankgor Wat. After hopefully avoiding malaria and a host of other horrible diseases, dodge a few landmines and avoid emotional blackmail to adopt an orphan, we will probably head to Malaysia. We are currently toying with making a quick stop in Vietnam but that's not certain yet.

We've had a few pretty epic nights out in the last couple of weeks too. The sessions have been monsterous, staying out after evening meal and still be drinking at 8am, some 12 hours later. It's fun playing the locals at pool, connect four and some Thai dice game where you have to notch off numbers 1-9 by rolling them with two dice. You can choose which spots on the die to take so there's some strategy in taking the high and low numbers first and giving yourself a chance at completing, but it's still a huge variance fest. Weird how I analyse game strategy now!

Anyway what is certainly true is that I get totally shit at everything at around beer number 8. I'm actually really good at pool too, I'd play anyone sober for money here, but I remember certain occasions later on where I'd be missing the cueball! I also get really happy a lot and 'ring the bell' which means you're buying the whole bar a drink. I made the mistake of doing this in the bussiest bar in town, at peak time, but thankfully the bill only came to £50. I've since picked quieter spots, but can't stop doing it, going hell for leather on the bell making the whole bar happy is so much fun! I'm such a big kid!

We're starting to get to know the area and had our first trip to 'Safali' (not a spelling mistake) which is an 'Ibiza like' superclub away from the main towns and bar strips. And when I say 'Ibiza like' what I really mean is 'nothing at all like Ibiza', it's just miles away. Last weekend we were took there by a few locals after the bar we were in shut at 2am. I sensibly opted for the passenger seat on the back of one motorbike, allowing my sober new friend to drive. But Briggsy somehow negotiated the driver's seat after double figure Singha's. Oh My God. The roads and terrain around here are rediculously steap and bendy, and Briggsy reliably informs me that he had the throttle floored the whole way. I believe him too. The speed at which he pulled away from us was Starship Enterprise-like! I wasn't expecting him to see him at the club after hearing the poor girl's shriek on the back. But credit where credit's due he was there with a beer waiting for me on arrival! Details were pretty hazy but I remember the club being pretty cool, with outdoor fountains and a club upstairs, which I'm informed I actually never made it to! Good times!

We probably should have sporadically done a few things in the last couple of weeks, as now we're having to cram a bit activity wise and poker volume will suffer. I really want to get playing too, I'm loving the higher level thinking and challenge of NL200. My graph for this month is quite rediculous, I'm still -$1000 in EV, but 5 buyins over the course of a month isn't that much really, especially with the higher aggression and stacking off frequency. Anyway having spent in the region of £1.5k already it's nice to be able to make a decent withdrawal from poker, especially after it was looking like I wouldn't be able to :-)

I'll check back with some photos of trips soon, and we're definitely taking the camera out tomorrow night. It's the Tyne Wear derby (come on Sunderland!), followed by Liverpool vs Chelsea, and then at 6am our time it's the NFL Superbowl. We're reliably informed it'll be screened on the sly in a local Irish Bar, where the plan is to have a full english breakfast before crashing out after the game. We must get some photos of this night as it's sure to be pretty crazy!

Good luck for February, especially Soap, hope both the poker and shares pick up mate! :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Im hoping to get some video footage of you ringing the bell....lets just pick a quite bar!!